Tuesday 29 May 2012

Brief 05 - Final Boards

Evaluation: The Indiependent brief has been rewarding to work on, mainly because of how much the chairman of the charity was desperate to find someone to work on giving the logo and identity a refresh and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. The brief was slow to start as I was communicating the client through email and I didn’t really get a feel for what the charity was about or what their values and attitudes were. The logo they were using at the time was very uninspiring and dull and I didn’t feel excited for the brief. The research into other existing charity logos also proved uninspiring; there were very few logos that I actually liked, so the research didn’t have a great deal of influence to my design. I did look into different kinds of charities too as well as youth charities, and on the whole I found the designs to be very corporate, whereas we wanted to step away from this and make it more about the young people. After a brainstorming session and a face to face meeting with the chairman I was beginning to feel happy with the brief and this reflected in the pace and quality of my work from that point forward. The main focus was on the logo, it needed to be loud, proud and edgy. The black and yellow conveys this idea well and the dfdMiliciana font reinforces this further. I am pleased with how the idea of transmission has tied in with the logo, as this was another key aspect. It took a while to deciding on a logo after a few changes of directions from the client, but this is bound to happen, one minute the specification was a purple logo, the next minute black and yellow. I feel the deliverables could have been pushed further especially with the idea of the Coffee House/Live Music venue, but it had got to the point where it felt like the logo was just being stuck on to lots of different products and it became more about commodity than design. I like the web proposal I came up with, it’s simple, navigable and modern. It would be good to build that after the hand in as I will be continuing to work with David the chairman on another project he has. Seeing the client so happy with the work, which is evidenced in emails in my project file was fantastic. It was good to do work that makes a difference, and with the new look it may make the name better known and definitely more noticeable. The work isn’t quite how I would have done it, however I am happy, as it was a joint effort, and it shows I can work to a client specification.

No comments:

Post a Comment